Character Interview Number Twenty-One Shyamal – Fantasy/YA
Legacy of Mist and Shadow
Tell Us About Yourself
*Author’s note: Shyamal is mute. He usually communicates via written word or projection of visions. He must touch someone to project his thoughts. Thus far only one person can hear his voice within a vision, and that is his friend, Arwyn of Heron.
Name: Shyamal, guardian-child of Lady Kali, recorded in the Book of Ages as member of clan Tyrel.
Age: timeless – Guardians and their kin do not age in the way the Faie or Nimisa do.
- Please tell us a little about yourself. I am Shyamal. I emerged from the sacred pool within my mother’s realm when the Dreamweaver visited. I have only recently joined the Faie as a member of clan Tyrel, but from my arrival they have known me as a puppy with a touch of magic. Some of the magics I have access too are shapeshifting, calling visions, and pushing time.
- Describe your appearance in 10 words or less. Tall, thin, skin of ashen grey, hair of silken black.
(ten words is so confining)
- Do you have a moral code? If so what is it? A moral code? I am a guardian-child. We are charged with helping to guide the clans, although I’m not certain that’s the sort of answer you are looking for.
- Would you kill for those you love? Only if it was unavoidable. I do not approve of death or killing, and there are beings from realms that are drawn to violent death which are best left alone.
- Would you die for those you love? Gladly. Without hesitation.
- What would you say are your strengths and weaknesses? My magics. I have access to well many more magics than any individual or clan of Faie. I am not certain, but I do not think I have discovered the full extent of my abilities. I have, however, pushed myself beyond the endurance of my energies on more than one occasion while assisting my friends. I know Mother sees that as a weakness, and I am working on correcting that.
- Do you have any relationships you prize above others? Why? *His face flushes as he rubs his hand back and forth over the paper for a moment before writing a single word.*
- Do you have a family? Tell us about them. My mother is Lady Kali, the Keeper of Time. The clan I chose for myself when I left her sacred pool was Heron, for it was the Dreamweaver who reached out to me when I was still but a serpent swimming in the waters. The clan Mother has chosen for me to join because their magic is the closest match to mine is Tyrel.
I have pledged myself to Lord Grypos and the scholars so that I may study in the great archives and learn the history of magic. I suppose, as I left my brothers and sisters behind in the pool, that the scholars are my family now as I do not expect to ever live with the Tyrel clan.
- Can you remember something from your childhood which influences your behaviour? How do you think it influences you? Childhood? I have had no childhood such as you know it. We simply waited in our chosen pool from the time of beginnings until the time was right to emerge. I have watched the true gateway and waited.
- Please give us an interesting and unusual fact about yourself. I am the only guardian-child so far known to take on Faie form.
Tell Us About Your World
- Do you travel in the course of your adventures? If so where? I have traveled a good many places during our adventures. First I left my home in the Stoney Deep to visit the clans of Faie on the Fertile Plain. I traveled with Arwyn to the archives in the Expanding Desert. Together we set out on a quest for Lord Grypos across the Great Expanse and through the Obsidian Wall to the Beyond. On our most recent adventure we traveled through the very Mists of Time themselves to a World Beyond.
- Name and describe a food from your world. I have had so many wonderful foods since joining the Faie, but the one that lingers in my mind is the first food I ever had in the beginning days. It was small and pink and velvety soft. It was sweet and fragrant and you only had to eat a few to feel full. Sadly, it does not exist outside of the River of Life.
- What form of politics is dominant in your world? (Democracy, Theocracy, Meritocracy, Monarchy, Kakistocracy etc.) I know not this word “politics”. I shall have to research it in the archives.
- Name a couple of myths and legends particular to your culture/people. Myths and legends? Do you not believe that the old tales of times past actually occurred?
- What is the technology level for your world/place of residence? What item would you not be able to live without? Technology – the strange glowing things that do work for you on some Worlds Beyond? We have no such things in Feyron.
What item can I not live without? Considering the ages spent with no items at all, I can think of no item that I am bound to.
- Does your world have any supernatural/mystical beings? Please tell us about some. Mystical, as in, of the mists? We are all of the mists, every living thing. All contain sparks of life that return to the mists when their time has passed. I do not understand this word “supernatural”. Everything is natural to the realm it is from. They only appear unnatural when found in an unusual location.
Book(s) in which this character appears plus links
The Dreamweaver’s Journey
The Guardian Child Returns
Legacy of Mist and Shadow
Author name: Diana L. Wicker
Website/Blog/Author pages etc.
Author’s website: https://talesfromfeyron.squarespace.com/welcome
Facebook fan page where updates are periodically posted for the series: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tales-from-Feyron/421079171274185